When American journalist John Hersey published Hiroshima, I
would assume it was met with varied reactions from American readers. Hersey’s
article includes the stories from innocent civilians who survived the atomic
bombing in Hiroshima. His vivid details paint a picture of the aftermath of the
bomb: “The hospital was in a horrible confusion: heavy partitions and ceilings
had fallen on the patients, beds had overturned, windows had blown in and cut
people blood was spattered everywhere…” Not only does Hersey describe the
bloody scenes of Hiroshima, he also gives a background story to survivors,
which I think “humanizes” them. For many Americans, I assume, Japanese citizens
were generalized as enemies as Japan was a foreign adversary.
However, Hersey’s article seems to be promoting an anti-atomic bomb sentiment by appealing to pathos. Is Hiroshima trying to make a political
statement? Am I making a claim based on too little of this much longer piece?
Additionally, how do you think the American people reacted to this?
No comments:
Post a Comment