Wednesday, March 28, 2018
Indirect Intervention
After the Korean war, I believe Eisenhower changed the containment policy because it had lead to fighting against other countries. His distaste for unnecessary war sparked "massive retaliation" or the "New Look" policy. As well as increasing weaponry, the policy directly affected the politics of other countries, like in Guatemala and Iran. Because I do not know what the world would look like if America had not intervened in such a manner I am hesitant to say that the US should not have done this, but I am not very fond of America deliberately changing the politics of another country. Durning this time period, Eisenhower not only intervened, but intervened for the benefit of America and to harm the Soviet Union. In the Grand Expectations text, it does not seem like the people Guatemala and Iran were in mind. Also, the increase in weapons may have intimidated some countries, but ultimately took money away.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment