Wednesday, April 4, 2018
Levittown Suprises
I was surprised to find that Levittown was heavily regulated by Bill Levitt. Why does he care about when they cut their lawn or on what rack they dry their clothes? Bill Levitt's personal views were also interesting to ready about. Although he agrees with Jefferson that all are created equal, Levitt believes talent/potential was not equal. In a way, it makes sense why Levitt made identical homes; everyone's house is created equal, but each family may have different success rates. I knew African-Americans were not allowed in these communities, but I assumed it was because Levitt was overtly prejudice. He believed 90%-95% of his customers would not buy houses if a black families could as well. He has a point. At the end of the day, Levitt was trying to build a business, not end segregation/racism. And one black family could destroy not only his wealth, but his reputation too.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment